Conduct and ethics
Silence strives to conduct its business in an ethical, responsible and transparent manner. We set high standards of conduct and behaviour and expect all our employees, officers and directors to adhere to those standards. Partners, employees, customers and suppliers can all expect the highest standards of professional conduct when dealing with our Company. The Board of Directors is responsible for setting and reviewing the Company’s values and standards.
For further detail on Corporate Governance, please click here.
Health and safety
Silence recognises and accepts its responsibility as an employer to maintain, as far as is reasonably practicable, the safety and health of its employees and of other persons who may be affected by its activities. Appropriate health and safety policies and procedures are in place which employees and any other appropriate persons should be aware of and follow at all times.
Silence is an equal opportunity employer. All staff and qualified candidates can expect to be treated equally and receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, colour, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sex, or sexual orientation.
Corporate Social Responsibility
1. Partners & Collaborators
Silence aims to be a good business partner by:
- Delivering high quality, innovative scientific research to ultimately address unmet medical needs
- Working collaboratively with academic institutions
- Working collaboratively with commercial partners
- Developing and maintaining excellent relations with our partners, dealing with them directly and responsively, and providing the highest levels of engagement
Silence aims to be a good employer. Our objectives for achieving this are to:
- Operate clear and fair terms of employment and remuneration policies
- Avoid discrimination in our recruitment, staff training, development and promotion policies
- Nurture the enthusiasm and commitment of staff, encouraging all employees to have a say in how we operate
- Enhance the performance of management and staff through ongoing training and knowledge development
Silence aims to be a good customer by:
- Building excellent long-term relationships with our suppliers by being a responsible purchaser of goods and services at market competitive prices
- Building a high degree of mutual trust, respect and understanding with suppliers
- Making payments for goods and services received within 30 days of the date of invoice
- Engaging with our principal suppliers on their own commitment to environmental and social responsibility, seeking wherever appropriate to influence them to adopt our approach
4. Life Sciences Marketplace
Silence aims to operate as a good corporate citizen by:
- Adhering to a strict policy on bribery and corruption
- Ensuring that all advertising and marketing materials are truthful and not misleading
- Promoting competitive behaviour that is socially and environmentally beneficial
Silence aims to reduce its direct adverse environmental impacts, wherever it has managerial control, and to influence others to reduce those that are indirect. As a minimum standard, we will fully comply with all relevant legislation and, wherever possible, look for opportunities to make a positive contribution to the environments in which we operate.
Silence aims to achieve continuous improvement in our environmental performance over time. Our environmental objectives cover the following core activities:
- Recycling of paper, packaging and consumables
- Donation of replaced computer hardware to local charities
- Minimising waste, and ensuring responsible waste control and disposal
- Ensuring efficient energy utilisation in our facilities
More specifically, we seek to:
- Communicate with our existing contractors and suppliers on environmental matters, ensuring that they are aware of our level of commitment
- Communicate with our partners and encourage them to address the environmental impacts of their own business processes
6. Animal Welfare