Head of Finance
At Silence Therapeutics Plc we specialise in gene silencing that cures diseases and fundamentally changes lives.
We are developing a new generation of medicines by harnessing the body’s natural mechanism of RNA interference (RNAi) within its cells. Our proprietary technology can selectively inhibit any gene in the genome, specifically silencing the production of disease-causing proteins. Research in RNAi has been progressing over the past 20 years, achieving Nobel Prize recognition in 2006, and can now be seen to be transitioning from the experimental realm into the clinical.
Silence Therapeutics is entering an exciting stage of growth, both in the UK and internationally in the US. It is not often as a Finance Manager that you get an opportunity to be part of an emerging field like this that will make an impact on medicine forever.
We are looking for a Finance Manager who is excited by the prospect of joining our organisation.
Reporting into the Head of Finance, this position is a key member of the Finance team in Hammersmith, London. The successful candidate will lead all forecasting and budgeting activity and provide finance partnering support to the rapidly growing R&D function across the UK, US and Berlin. They will also support finance reporting activities and will become involved in a broader suite of finance activities over time.
- Preparation of the annual Budget and Mid-Year Forecast, working closely with Executive Committee members, Project Directors and Heads of Department to formulate a detailed P&L, cashflow and Balance Sheet forecast that supports strategic decision making.
- Support long-term financial planning to identify long-term capital requirements.
- Prepare and maintain a monthly Rolling Forecast to closely monitor cash forecasts.
- Working closely with the Business Development team, own the internal valuation model and proactively identify opportunities to make improvements to it. Support communications to research analysts and identify variances between external and internal valuations.
- Support due diligence activities (inbound and outbound), managing virtual data room (VDR) content and access, and supporting with diligence Q&A.
- Support in preparation of monthly management accounts, particularly in variance analysis to Budget/Mid-Year Forecast.
- Help with financial reporting activities during busy times e.g. annual report.
- Finance partner to the R&D function, working closely with R&D leaders to support in decision making such as major contract negotiations
- Support ad hoc financial analyses and projects, working closely with the CFO and other Executive Committee members
The Finance Manager will be able to demonstrate the following competencies and behaviours:
- Chartered Accountancy Qualified with demonstrable experience of being a Finance Manager
- Credible experience with transaction services or M&A advantageous
- Demonstrable experience with forecasting and budgeting advantageous
- Exposure to operating within the Big Four is desirable
- Brings a genuine interest in Biotechnology or life sciences with a clear affiliation to our vision, and a passion to become a true ambassador of our organisation.
- Experience of business partnering a diverse and remotely based stakeholder group.
- Holds a passion for collaborative working, building relationships and excellent stakeholder management skills.
- Excellent communicator and engaging presentation skills.
- Proactive self-starter with a hunger to apply their knowledge to a high growth SME
Our mission is to continue to build Silence as a global leader in RNAi therapeutics, where our technology can create a new generation of approaches to address unmet medical needs and improve the outcomes for patients. Making a difference to people’s lives is at the heart of what we do, and this is no different when it comes to our employees.
We offer a vibrant culture and environment where employees are encouraged to bring their innovation and creativity. Small, dynamic, with slick decision making and unencumbered by bureaucracy, we recognise contributions wherever they are made within the team.
Our values - working collaboratively to create value, holding ourselves accountable for delivering results, and seeking out opportunities to develop ourselves, run through everything we do. We should also mention that we have a lot of fun on the way, fully embracing the diverse mix of talented professionals we employ.